Saturday, January 18, 2014

Setting up Your Day for Success

Infographics are suddenly so hip.  Not only is the information usually pretty insightful, but the artistic styling and layout really draw me in.  Entrepreneur.com recently featured an article written by Catherine Clifford titled, “Let Go, Keep it Simple, Move Quickly: Secrets of Being a Productive Entrepreneur” (http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230606), which showcased a few infographics created by Anna Vital.  Each one is definitely worth checking out regardless of your entrepreneurial status.  However, here is my personal favorite...



I think each of us have the desire to be a successful person in all our endeavors.  The two things that stick out most to me on this list are to

“Visualize how you will make your day.” 
- Tony Robbins.

And to ask myself:

“If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” 
  • Steve Jobs.

Visualizing is something that I rarely think to do.  I suppose my greatest moments of visualization are on the golf course, when I am visualizing a shot (that doesn’t always mean it turns out the way I envision it).  I can’t help but think of the productivity potential by simply visualizing, even simply planning out my day.  However, as with the golf shot that may not work as we envisioned it, our days can take a completely different turn than we expected.  Visualization is a useful tool, but learning to be adaptable within the plan can be really helpful for your sanity.

Now the question that Steve Jobs proposes really is thought provoking.  For many people, they might answer this question “no”.  However, before you say that, I want you to think about the motives for why you are about to do whatever the day holds.  You may know ahead of time that it is going to be a hard day, and you probably would rather spend that day with your family or enjoying your favorite hobby.  But think of the consequences involved in ceasing to face the fear of a day, or ceasing to go to a job you don’t enjoy.  

Would you regret that decision?  

Tim Keller helps bring to light the importance of our daily work in his book Every Good Endeavor.  He states that, “Work of all kinds, whether with the hands or the mind, evidences our dignity as human beings - because it reflects the image of God the Creator in us” (p. 48).  Later, he talks about our motivations for work, “without something bigger than yourself to work for, then all of your work energy is actually fueled by one of the other six deadly sins” (p. 230).  The something bigger can be as simple as food for your family to eat, a roof over their head, which are all a gift from the Lord, that was given through the gift of work.  So, before you say “no, I don’t want to go,” think about what that really entails.  

However, for some of you saying “no, I don’t want to go” might be a great decision.  Continuing to do something that makes you miserable is probably going to affect every other part of your life in a negative way.  The financial benefit for your family may not be worth the emotional or physical harm.  Work is something we were created to do but, don’t be afraid to pursue a work path that may not be the norm and do something you love to do. 

Side note: (If it is TRULY my last day on Earth, I’m going to spend it with my family.)

Remember, whatever you do, do it well.  I’ll end with a great quote from Winston Churchill...


“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Shaun! Very profound for a young man...wise beyond your years. I pray your wisdom and God's grace and peace with sustain you through the difficult days ahead. We know Lucy is happy and at peace. May you find the peace and happiness in knowing that.

    ReplyDelete